"Winter" as I have come to know it in the last few years is vastly different then what I was raised with.
In Hawaii winter meant rain…rain...and more rain. Not really all that chilly, but decidedly wet. In fact, in the spring of 2006 we had 40 days and 40 nights of rain. Irritating enough on its own; but made scary by the sewage overflows and resulting flesh-eating bacteria outbreaks. The great thing about Hawaii though was a rainy day in Kailua, did not necessarily mean a rainy day elsewhere. A short drive to the North Shore or an afternoon spent by the Hale Koa pool and I could put all my rainy day blahs behind me.
In Northern California winter reminds me of spring in NY. Most of the time it is foggy and overcast with periods of high rain; a little dreary, but when the sun comes out, all is forgiven.
I do not miss the snow, ice, sleet and hail I was raised with. I do not miss shoveling snow or mummifying my body in layers of sweaters, coats, hats. gloves and scarves. Not that I ever really did that to begin with, preferring instead the "fashion over function" mode of winter dressing.
The long and short of this rambling post is to say that I really have nothing to complain about regarding Pacific winters and if I do start complaining, I give permission to all my East Coasters to throw me a shovel and make me clean off your roof!
This past December Logan got to experience his first (and only!) taste of snow. He had a blast sledding with Papa T!
Logan and Jason
Logan and I

Thursday, February 21, 2008
Winter Ramblings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment